VR Optimization Progress

OTG Blog Forums Virtual Reality VR Optimization Progress

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Peter Spencer
    Peter Spencer

Hi BSG and all readers….

Well we’re well on our way to getting X-plane 11 tuned for Oculus Rift VR. Even my first trial run flight without any optimization proved to be mind blowing. I’m just blown away by the level of immersion that is possible using VR! It is indeed the closest I have come since flying in the real airplane. It was absolutely amazing – and can’t wait till I get it all dialed in and optimized!

I do have a request for BFG… I’ve been scouring through these forums to try to follow your path to the best optimized settings (for you anyway) and can see your progression so far, but it is a bit daunting to go through and find all your previous posts during your optimization of VR experience. Just like you have for your physical cockpit, it would be great to have a page or section like “What’s in the VR sim”, but separate, highlighting all of the software/mods you’re using, and your suggestions for optimized settings for each with VR.

My hardware:
    PC: Cyberpower – i7-8700k (12 cores @ 3.7GHz, not overclocking yet); 32GB Ram (Intel Optane compatible); Liquid Cooled; 3tb HDD+250gb SSD; NVidia GTX 1080ti (12GB DDR5)
    VR Gear: Oculus Rift set (headset, 2 controllers, 2 cameras)
    Buttkicker 2 (not hooked up yet)
    Controllers: Saitek Yoke flight system and pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D pro for joystick planes
    I also am using an Arozzi Arena gaming desk and just ordered a new desk chair… Since we decided not to build a physical cockpit, but only use the physical controllers, there’s no reason to be in a cramped cockpit box.

I’m taking a trip to the electronics store tomorrow to buy a proper HDMI-DP adapter for the monitor to mirror the headset and to figure out how I’m going to do my audio system on the new rig so it works with Buttkicker.

My Software:
    Currently trying Super-Sampling at 1.6 using Oculus Tray Tool, but have yet to try Steam VR without Oculus Home (just found that post), also need to check how this super-sampling setting is affecting performance and frame drops from the video card. Also, are you using the Steam virtual desktop to bring your apps into X-plane cockpit? This is a payware it appears.

Most native LR planes work well in VR, favorite so far is the Cessna 172 and Baron, also the 739 Zibo works surprisingly well in VR (we had to update to ultimate to get it to work). I don’t think I have any add-on planes beside the free Zibo mod that will work in VR, so I’ll have to start expanding my payware plane library – only VR compatibles from this point on!

Someone on the Facebook group informed me of a website for free mods to help optimize LR and payware planes for VR use you may want to check out (I plan to try it soon): http://simvrlabs.com/

So far I have not placed any of my custom scenery into the new computer and keeping it as vanilla as I can while I’m dialing in the Oculus Rift for X-plane 11. This also means I haven’t put in XSquawkbox, BetterPushback, or Xeconomy or other features. If there are any known conflicts of X-Plane plug-ins or add-ons that are not compatible with VR, please let everyone know.

Some of the free VR games on Oculus Home and Steam VR also have been fun to play around in! My other son expressed interest in automotive racing games, so we might expand to other simulation genre’s too.

Cheers!

Father-Son Flight Simulator

Profile photo of Basement Fly Guy
    Basement Fly Guy

Hi Peter. Here’s a post with how I have things set up. I’m currently running with hyperthreading, and giving XP access to all but the first physical core. Other than that, these settings still hold. The video this post links to is, in my mind, essential to getting the best experience. But be careful messing with your BIOS …

My Current X-Plane VR Settings

N15JG On PilotEdge

Profile photo of Peter Spencer
    Peter Spencer

Thanks! I’m sure this will be a big help.

I have the new Oculus home now that includes the ‘dash’ and I’m trying to figure out how to pull windows and pin them inside Xplane. Do you know of a tutorial on this?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.