A Better Set Of Lua Scripts For Rotary Encoders In X-Plane

A few years back I posted a LUA script I had modified for increasing the speed with which a rotary encoder can change something like a heading bug in X-Plane. While you can assign a rotary encoder — either one you place in your sim or maybe one of the dials on a Saitek FIP — to change a heading bug by having it send a keyboard stroke to the simulator, that process moves the bug very very slowly, and this old script speeded that up.

Last week I noticed that the script I used to change my OBS via a rotary encoder was no longer working in FlyWithLua. In trying to find the source of the error I found new posts in this post at the .ORG in which Adamo posted a link to a .ZIP file which has improved scripts for a variety of different bugs you might want to sent via an encoder: Heading, Airspeed, Altitude, VClimb/Descent, OBS, etc. They work GREAT, and are worth downloading if you want this functionality in your sim. The link to the .ZIP file is about half-way down the thread.

One thought on “A Better Set Of Lua Scripts For Rotary Encoders In X-Plane

  1. Thank you for this! I just put a Diagma panel in my simulator, and using the rotary switches, it is very slow. I talked to the manufacturer about this, and they said that it is a software thing. I have not tried your lua script yet, but will. I hold out hope that it will speed things up, as moving the compass and heading bug are a real pain!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

The following GDPR rules must be read and accepted:
This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. For more info check our privacy policy where you will get more info on where, how and why we store your data.