Start building Cessna cockpit

Home Forums Videos & Photos Start building Cessna cockpit

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

Deprecated: Function wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/anelson/domains/ontheglideslope.net/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5414

But, my current challenges are: 1. The Saitek FIPs are not working at all, even with SPAD. 2. The Air Manager application on the iPad is really hard to design (gauges sizes is hard to find). 3. Making to Yokes and Two pedals to work good is harder than what I can read here on OTGS… And I want to use this opportunity to say that this website is a game changer for me! The GA sim niche has defiantly changed now with OTGS! Kudos!

Couple of thoughts for you:

• On the FIPs, I learned through the hard way, trial and error, pain and frustration, the following truths about them:
      • They must have enough power. 500mA each. And they probably do better with USB 2.0 rather than 3.0. See my post on USB hubs and power here.
      • SPAD.neXT is by FAR the best way to drive them. Stable and highly customizable. The original SPAD, I struggled with. SPAD.neXt is far better. If you’re using X-Plane be sure to get the X-Plane variation.
      • If you use SPAD, delete ALL TRACES of the original Saitek software. Delete the drivers, the configuration software, the folders – everything. The Saitek drivers are notoriously troublesome, and with SPAD.neXt you need none of it. Delete it ALL.

N15JG On PilotEdge

Tony
    Participant

Deprecated: Function wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/anelson/domains/ontheglideslope.net/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5414

So i am thinking of making the sidescreens smaller. I dont have enough room to make the front screen bigger. what do you guys think? Make them smaller or keep them as they are?

I had a similar issue.  One way I reduced this problem is buy cutting the window opening on the inside panel about 1 – 1.5″ in from the max outer dimensions of the screen itself.  After I did this it gave me two really cool effects that I like.  The first is that now the inside dimensions feel a little more realistic and two because I set each screen back it gives me the feeling that if I angle my head a little more to the left or right I see a little more scenery which is something we all deal with weather its driving a vehicle or flying a plane because the front left or right post are always in the way.  For me this doesn’t create any distraction from the simulation experience but adds to the realism a little.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Tony.
    JeDa
    Participant

Thanks Tony, great idea. I don’t know if I have enough room for this improvement.

i once again changed my side panels, i liked the old but what i miss was the possibility to look at the far sides over the instrument panel. This was blocked by the structure. Now i moved the sidesreen further to the front screen. For the flying experience it feels much better. But still, I am not happy with how it looks. It now has and additional side window, which i could easily replace by making one window out off the two.

What do you think?

My YouTube movies Click

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by JeDa.
    Tony
    Participant

Yup I see what you mean it does add quite a bit more visual expanse to your over all view! That is pretty darn slick looking. What video card are you using?  I got a r9 290x and I can’t seem to get a very clear image on my side windows its like the card won’t send out the correct 1080p @60hz or something even though it says it is.  Maybe an upgrade which I need to do anyhow to a gtx1070 would help in that department?

JeDa
    Participant

Thanks! I also have an r9 290x and an i7 4770 at 3,5 ghz. In my system the cpu is the weakest link. I found out that the cpu load can be reduced a lot by going back from 1080 to 720. So thats what i did. The gpu is fast enough to render everything in hdr and use fsaa. So, although the resolution is not that good, the gpu makes up for this.

My YouTube movies Click

Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

Looks good with the new windows.

I may give 720p a shot as well …

N15JG On PilotEdge

JeDa
    Participant

Hi,

I’m still not 100% happy with the results. I think The new window looks better because it’s more to the front, the unrealistic thing is that I now have two side windows….

so, once again I did some testing. First I removed the left front cockpit part so I got one window again. Drawback is that you now can see the  edges of the screens. Which obviously isn’t very realistic.

what do you think?

My YouTube movies Click

JeDa
    Participant

Still not very happy, I placed the left part back but now i did some magic to it 😉

i think it’s an improvement, I still have to do a lot of fine tuning

My YouTube movies Click

JeDa
    Participant

Today I found out that it’s possible to adjust the vertical FOV for the side screen. This makes alignment easier. See the movie. Still some tweaking to do….

Looks better, doesnt it?

My YouTube movies Click

JeDa
    Participant

Hi,

I wrote in the openingspost that I am not very happy with my panel. I dont like the small instruments, the big gap between the instruments (caused by the besels of the iPads), the position of the yoke under the instruments in stead of in between them, the big saitek panels etc.

so time for improving😀

What do you think so far?

My YouTube movies Click

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    JeDa
    Participant

And a movie:

Still lots to do: adding glareshield, leds, aligning, add details like stickers, screws, mounting FIP, add gps display etc

Btw, i also changed the side Windows once again😀

My YouTube movies Click

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by JeDa.
    Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

Looks great. The side windows / pillars are looking great, too.

N15JG On PilotEdge

JeDa
    Participant

Thanks! Without your great site this wouldn’t have been possible for me.

I like your videos a lot. Would it be possible to create some kind of flight school lessons? With X-plane I think it is possible to connect as an instructor. By creating your own “on the glideslope virtual flight school” you could even earn some money for the real thing 😉

just an idea…..

My YouTube movies Click

JeDa
    Participant

Hi,

Today I added a WIP glareshield, the missing engine RPM-gauge and also the gps-display. I also repaired the Cessna Saitek yoke, one pot was bad. I cleaned the pot and now the problem seems to be solved. I am testing bessels for the gauges. I found some cups which have the exact dimensions, only drawback is they are red instead of black. I painted the black but unfortunately the paint doesnt hold.

as allways a video to show what i did

My YouTube movies Click

Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

Given that I’m not a CFI I wouldn’t go too far down that road. But I have made a series of videos meant to share real-world procedures with simmers so you can use them in your simulation flying. You can find that series here, and I hope you like them. I’ll probably add to them over time as well.

N15JG On PilotEdge

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.