home pit wobbling :(

Home Forums Construction home pit wobbling :(

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    C152 Steve
    Participant

Deprecated: Function wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/anelson/domains/ontheglideslope.net/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5414

Hi guys. After ~20 years I finally decided to build my own home pit. I have started the build using 34mm x 34mm beams but couldnt stabilise the frame. Then I revisited the design and started replacing some beams with 38mx89mm and 38x64mm… but still no luck. Its wobbling from side to side, which will create issues when I load it with the side TVs. I am also thinking that when I will be flying, as the panel is coupled with the rest of the frame, any movement will cause the image to move as well… Any ideas? surely someone out there has had the same problem? I cant “catch” the instability of the frame. Does it need more wood? bigger brackets? arghhh. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

• This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by C152 Steve.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by C152 Steve.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Marco
    Participant

Deprecated: Function wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/anelson/domains/ontheglideslope.net/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5414

Hi Steve, it might become more sturdy with some cover panels but I recommend to not use brackets. Check my thread http://www.ontheglideslope.net/forums/topic/my-cessna-build/ post #3358 and #3359. It´s an easy technique and it gives a very strong and stable structure.

C152 Steve
    Participant

Hi Marco,

thanks for the reply. Your approach looks very stable, but it seems a bit complex and requires a … higher level of workmanship and tools! Any simpler ideas?

Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

I honestly had no problem with wobbles for mine, especially with the panel installed. Did you follow my schematics? I also used steel strong-ties at nearly every corner …

N15JG On PilotEdge

C152 Steve
    Participant

Hello Basement Fly Guy! I am using corner brases. Do you have a photo from the corners of your pit?

C152 Steve
    Participant

Solved it using shelving corners for bracing. Had to introduce supports on the back and at the top. Looks (very) ugly, but works. It is still slightly unstable, so I will make the front panel mount stand-alone in order to decouple movement with the shell, so it does not move the screens or projector (if I decide to mount on top) when flying.

Still interested in your corner fixings, BFG.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

Sure. I used these (or something very similar to them): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-ZMAX-18-Gauge-Galvanized-Steel-Angle-A21Z/100375047

N15JG On PilotEdge

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.