Desktop Aviator Switch Panel question

Home Forums Avionics & Controls Desktop Aviator Switch Panel question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alan D. Rhodes
    Participant

Deprecated: Function wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/anelson/domains/ontheglideslope.net/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5414

I am building a basement sim based on the plans that BFG has posted, plus scouring the web for other ideas and information (thanks!).  I recently bought a Cessna switch panel from DesktopAviator.com which seems to be very well built, but I am having trouble configuring 3 of the switches: Alt, Bat and Avionics.  I am using the default C172 in X-Plane 11.20 and configuring the buttons according to the chart on DesktopAviator’s website.  Here’s what I am seeing:

I configured Btn 0 to “Generators all toggle” Btn 1 to Batteries all toggle, and Btn 9 to Avionics toggle as instructed in the chart. When I turn the Alt switch to on, both the Alt and Bat switches are turned in in X-plane. When I turn the Alt switch off, the alt switch turns off in XP, but not the Bat. When I turn the Bat switch on (with the Alt switch off), just the Bat switch is turned on as it is supposed to, however if both switches are on and I turn off the Bat switch, both switches turn off.

The Avionics switch seems to work OK, but it only toggles Bus 1, and not Bus 2.

I have it plugged into a USB 3.0 port, so I tried it on a different computer with a USB 2.0, but I have the same problem.

I have emailed DesktopAviator.com multiple times, but have not had any help so far.

Does anyone have any experience with this switch?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

Deprecated: Function wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/anelson/domains/ontheglideslope.net/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5414

Hi. For the Bat / Alt I think that’s just the way it is with the 172. If they get out of kilter with each other I just flip them in the 3D cockpit. For the Avionics switch, there is a different command to use — “cross-tie.” It either has on / off options or a toggle (I don’t recall).

N15JG On PilotEdge

Alan D. Rhodes
    Participant

Perfect, thanks so much!  That’s what I’ve had to do – flip them in the cockpit.  I also have a C210, and the ALT and BAT work for that normally.

I’m just starting (today, in fact) on laying out and screwing together the lumber for my home sim.  Looks like it’s going to be a long haul.  I’m retired (and tired), so I’m slow but having a ball.  I access OTG.com about 10 times per day, and I am so happy I found it!  Thanks for all you do.

I worked at a little airport in Lehi, Utah (I see you’re pretty familiar with this area, so you probably know that is long gone) in 1968-1970, and got paid $1.50 an hour towards flying lessons, and took my check ride at the Provo airport the month I graduated from high school in 1969.  He charged $18 an hour for lessons (including a/c rental, wet), and $12 for solo time.  Those were the days!

I’ve flown XP from Provo to Price using your scenery a few times lately.  It was a bit of Deja Vu since one of my X-countries as a student back then was from Lehi to Price.

Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

Hi Alan. How’s progress?

N15JG On PilotEdge

Alan D. Rhodes
    Participant

Been busy getting the sim built, and haven’t installed the switch for the panel yet. I did find that if I turn on the BAT first, then the ALT, they both come on fine in the XP default 172. I did try the cross-tie for the avionics, but that didn’t seem to turn on both bus 1 and bus 2, but I doubt I’ll use that much since most of my avionics are on an iPad that I’m mounting on the panel.

I’m getting anxious to get this thing done. I’m pretty good with technology since I retired after 40 years of programming/IT, but when it comes to building stuff, I’m slow and clumsy. It’s coming along, though. I’ve used your plans almost exactly except for the modification I’ve had to make for the TV in front. and I’ve added an extra piece above the side TVs for more support.  The big TV seems to work great, by the way, but probably not as good as a projector. The TV was probably 1/3 the cost of a good short-throw projector, though, and this is costing way more than I told my wife :-).

Here’s a couple of pictures of my progress so far.  I can post more in the construction area when I get closer to finishing.  Thanks for all your help!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.