Projector screen distance from cockpit

Home Forums Construction Projector screen distance from cockpit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Krivanek
    Participant

Deprecated: Function wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/anelson/domains/ontheglideslope.net/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5414

What’s the distance you have from the very front of your cockpit to the projector screen? I noticed in your build you purchased the Optoma ultra short throw projector. In an effort to save a little $$$ I got the Optoma GT1080 which has a throw distance of 100in @ ~3.5ft vs the 5500 which produces 100in at ~2ft.

[mk]

Bob Clement
    Participant

Deprecated: Function wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/anelson/domains/ontheglideslope.net/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5414

Hi Matthew, I know On the glide slope use Optoma EH320UST, me either I have the Gt1080 And I just ordered a mounting rack for the ceilling because for now its impossible to get the view with my cockpit.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Bob Clement.
    Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

My ultra-short-throw is ceiling mounted. The front projection screen is only three inches from the very front of the cabin, and about 16-18 inches from the front (facing me side) of the glare shield.

N15JG On PilotEdge

Uriel
    Participant

Hey guys,

let us know how the GT1080 works. Let’s see if the image clears the roof of the cockpit because it sits a bit farther.

Heres the specs link for both projectors mention above as a reference

GT1080: http://www.optomausa.com/projectorproduct/gt1080

EHT320UST: http://www.optomausa.com/projectorproduct/eh320ust

Average cost is:

Gt1080 $700

Vs

ETH320UST  $1500

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-GT1080-1080p-Gaming-Projector/dp/B00M9D4CAK

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-Ultra-Short-Projector-EH320UST/dp/B013JHF1SQ

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Uriel.
    Matthew Krivanek
    Participant

@Uriel Will do.

Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

I started with either the GT1080 or something close to it but had to go ultra-short throw because the image couldn’t clear the top of the cabin. But I have a lower ceiling in the basement, and with a higher ceiling it probably wouldn’t have been an issue.

Another option, and one I didn’t even consider, is a rear-projection screen, which would work well if your room were long enough.

N15JG On PilotEdge

Spankybus
    Participant

Simpit 270Check out this puppy, that would be glorious!

Price is a bIt daft and it requires 3 projectors. But yyou’d have full parallax when looking outside the windows and the windshield.

Simpit 270

if you have the means, wow what a setup it would make!

Richard Wolff
    Participant

The site projectorcentral.com might be helpful in deciding between projectors.

Spankybus
    Participant

Would like to know if anyone has used this model:

LG Electronics PF1000U

i see it frequently on eBay

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Spankybus.
    Matthew Krivanek
    Participant

It’ll still be a few days before I get a chance to see if the GT1080 will work for me. I considered rear projection as well, but I don’t think the room is deep enough for it.

One thing to note for those considering buying an ultra short throw, the Optoma GT5500 has a similar short throw distance to the EH320UST (100″ picture at 22″ for the GT5500 vs 21″ for the EH320UST). While the lumens are 3500 for the GT5500 and 4000 for the EH320UST, the GT5500 is a bit cheaper. ($200-300 cheaper)

Dennis Wierzbicki
    Participant

I agree with Matthew. The GT5500 is the one I would consider. I thought about the LG unit, and it was on sale at Fry’s for something like $750 a few weeks back, but the comparitively low lumens output scared me away.

Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

I decided not to go with LG based on Lumens as well. I’ve liked the ultra-short, but do wish I’d been able to not spend quite that much.

N15JG On PilotEdge

Spankybus
    Participant

Thank ye, mates. Newb with projectors, but I see wha you maregarding the brightness. I will not be in a basement but a living room. Ambient light will be an issue during the day.

Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

You might look into a “black pearl” or otherwise grey / black screen. Looks like they provide much better contrast. I’ve been considering one for months, and it looks like you can DYI as well.

N15JG On PilotEdge

Dennis Wierzbicki
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.