Member Introductions

Home Forums The Hangar Member Introductions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

Deprecated: Function wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/anelson/domains/ontheglideslope.net/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5414

Pinning this thread in case you all want to get to know each other a bit better.

Me: Late 40s, Philadelphia, wife and kids. Travel a lot for work. First sim was SubLogic Flight Simulator, first played on the Apple II and then version II owned on the Commodore 64. Built the Basement Sim in Jan/Feb of 2016. Started private pilot training not long after and am nearing the closing stages of that experience.

And in case any of the younger folks are wondering what flight sim on the Apple II was like …

N15JG On PilotEdge

Jeff
    Participant

Deprecated: Function wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/anelson/domains/ontheglideslope.net/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5414

Hi all, Racketyjack here. 60 years old and living in Montana with my wife. First sim was Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, then Aces of the Pacific. Didn’t get into civilian simming until someone on the Combatace forums mentioned FSX was on sale on Steam a couple years ago I think it was. Absolutely loved it! I NEVER would have imagined flying around without blowing things up or shooting them down could be so fun. This has actually brought me closer to my dream of real flying then any combat sim ever really could, and I’ve played a LOT of them over the years; have 3 on my computer now.

I’ve since bought both Prepar3d v3 and X-plane 11. I even made a small cockpit instrument panel which works fairly well on everything except X-plane. Cant get the Saitek panels to work properly with X-plane. One of the things I’m sure I’ll discuss on these forums with you pros. Anyway, hello to all of you and looking forward to chatting with you.

panel

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Jeff.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Jeff.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

Welcome, Jeff. And this should solve your Saitek problems: https://www.spadnext.com/discover/discover/x-plane-edition.html

N15JG On PilotEdge

Joseph Kerr
    Participant

Hello everyone!

I am 37, married to a patient wife myself and have 2 great kids! My first flight simulator was Chuck Yeager’s Flight Sim for the Commodore 64 followed by Pilotwings for Nintendo, to MSFS in 1994 and have bough every version since then. Most recently, and many thanks to Basement Fly Guy, I have shifted over to XP11. In the real world I received my private pilot license in 2012, and added my instrument rating in 2013. I look forward to chatting with you all, and hopefully once my home sim is complete, we could do a group flight one day!

Joe

Stephen
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m Steve.  I’m 36, married for 16 years to a VERY understanding woman, I live just outside of Salt Lake City. I just finished A&P school and I work as a flight sim tech at a local college.

I have been involved with flight simulation since FS95, but have flown all but the first 3 of the Microsoft sims. P3D is my fav, but X-Plane is growing on me.

When I’m not at school, work, or spending time with my wife or our pup, I am refurbishing a PFC AATD down in my basement.

I LOVE this hobby! I’m glad to be here.

Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

Welcome Joseph and Steve! Glad to have you aboard. Steve, SLC is my old stomping grounds …

N15JG On PilotEdge

Stephen
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome! What area of SLC are you from?

If ya ever get back here and have some time, I know a CRJ700 SIM you can get into. 🙂

Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

Thanks for the welcome! What area of SLC are you from? If ya ever get back here and have some time, I know a CRJ700 SIM you can get into. :)

I am ALL over that. I get back several times a year. Next trip is probably June. I went to Skyline High back in the late 80s …

N15JG On PilotEdge

P
    Participant

Hello All-

Preston here.  Had one eye in the sky for as long as I can remember.  Used to drag my girlfriend (now wife, of 20 years) to the local airport just to watch ’em take off and land.   We’re in the greater Nashville area and are glad to be here!   (I shudder at the pics of snow that OTG will post from time to time.)  I figure OTG has a couple years on me, but maybe that means there’s still hope I’ll actually fly!?!?  🙂

I guess I started with FS95 and tried the rest (older XP & P3D) and I’m now 100% sold on X-Plane11.  I enjoy making my own photo-scenery, via Ortho4XP (will.not.fly.without.it.) and hope to start freshening up my local airports.

Running a Core2DUO at a screaming 3.0ghz, with a GTX770 (I think), built for FSX.   XP11 pb12, while using TrackIR across 3 monitors and following along in FlyQ actually runs very well for me.

Nice to stop lurking, and start contributing.  🙂

P

(aka Rooster Cogburn)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Basement Fly Guy
    Keymaster

Welcome, Preston. That’s a great screen shot!

N15JG On PilotEdge

pablo
    Participant

Muy buenos dias, soy Pablo Acuña desde Argentina, Buenos Aires, entusiasta de la aviacion desde nacimiento,

Soy mecanico aeronautico en Aerolineas Argentinas y piloto privado, actualmente mi hijo mayor Matias esta haciendo el curso de piloto y pronto iremos a disfrutar juntos de unos buenos vuelos.

Decidi construir mi propio sim gracias a usted y le presento unas fotos de como avanza la estructura.- Disfruto mucho sus videos y notas tecnica s y son de muchisima utilidad , saludos cordiales

photo 18741493_1345765812206926_885336934_n.jpg

photo 17952534_1314157918701049_5757627125397332252_n.jpg

photo 18718439_1345765798873594_1559071394_n.jpg

Peter Spencer
    Participant

Hello everyone!

Out of high school, I started working at the west hangers (then Martin Aviation) at KSNA, my first job was cleaning up bathrooms and fueling up the police helicopters on graveyard shift. I soon joined a flight club, and went for VFR-SEL rating. At orange coast college nearby, I took all they had to offer for aviation science: Ground School, meteorology, power plants, aerodynamics, simulator (which didn’t even have visuals back then, it was instrument only), aviation history, navigation, and I’m sure I left a couple out. Working at the airport for over 6 years, I moved around to several FBO jobs at the airport, from FBO’s to fueling up airliners and supervising shifts. And after a few years I eventually got an IFR rating added to my certificate. I loved it, but realized that going into piloting as a profession wasn’t going to be feasible and none of the courses I took were transferable towards a degree. I decided to finish a degree in chemical engineering at CSULB. I don’t regret that, as it enabled a good career and family life.

Fast forward ~20 years…  A couple of years ago my older son installed FSX Steam on his laptop computer and began to tell me about all the flights he was doing. He started asking me all kind of questions about aviation. Seeing his interest, I thought it was a great way to connect and share something I also loved doing. Then we ran across OTG, Flight Sim Liberty, and others on YouTube and began to see that not only was it possible, but today you can get a good deal of realism in a home simulator that was never possible back when I was real world flying. Christmas 2017, we purchased the Saitek flight controllers and started.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.